Thursday, April 5, 2012


A Late Walk

    WHEN I go up through the mowing field,
    The headless aftermath,
    Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
    Half closes the garden path.
    And when I come to the garden ground,
    The whir of sober birds
    Up from the tangle of withered weeds
    Is sadder than any words.
    A tree beside the wall stands bare,
    But a leaf that lingered brown,
    Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
    Comes softly rattling down.
    I end not far from my going forth
    By picking the faded blue
    Of the last remaining aster flower
    To carry again to you.

I chose "A Late Walk" because when I read the poem it actually made sense and I realized the field he is walking through is most likely a crop and it has just been cut down. Also the leaves are brown so it must be the end of autumn and the crop symbolizes years. A literary device that Robert Frost uses is in the third line "Smooth-laid like thatch with heavy dew" where he uses a simile to illustrate how the field lays.

1 comment: